TurboCSV "History" Empty!

Home Forums TurboCSV Support TurboCSV "History" Empty!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  arrowplane 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

arrowplane
    Participant

I was putting together some instructions for my client on how to remove existing records imported via TurboCSV so they can do a fresh import (it works better in our case to remove all records and add them all back) and was horrified to realize that the history page is empty!  Whereas last Thursday there were many import records here.

What could have happened here?  Is there a way to get this data back?  In the short term, I will have to find a different way to mass delete the records… And, in the long term, I’m worried that this will happen again for the client, who wants to be able to do imports themselves.

Please help! And, thank you!

arrowplane
    Participant

Looking in the ti_import table in the database, I do see many records here — 38 plus the import I started today.  So the data is there.. it’s just not showing up on the History page in the control panel for some reason.

The only thing I can think of is that the first 38 were performed using a testing domain name, whereas the most recent one is with the production domain name.  I did, however, do a search and replace prior to launch to replace any database instances of the test domain name with the live one.    The paths I see in the data appear to be valid.

Is there a limit on how long history is displayed?  Or any other reasons it would not display?

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

I’m not sure why the history records aren’t displaying, but the domain name change is probably a clue.  One problem I’ve seen before is that different PHP versions on different servers can prevent the data from being unserialized.  If that’s the problem it probably won’t be possible to recover the old records.

If you don’t see the history appearing as you run new imports on the new domain, though, send me a login and I’ll take a look to see if something else is happening.

Also – the ‘undo’ feature was intended as a way to undo an import immediately if it has errors, not as a mechanism for doing updates of past imports.  It may work, but it’s probably better to just delete existing posts from the WordPress admin and then re-import them.  Or, store a unique ID in a custom field for each record and run the imports as an update.

arrowplane
    Participant

I didn’t change servers, I just changed which domain name the site was using.  I did, however, replace all references to the old domain name.  It’s a little troubling, as I don’t want this to continue happening.  I will try reimporting everything and see if it retains the history.

As for the “Undo,” I thought you’d suggested to me elsewhere that I could use this as a way to wipe the slate clean.  That’s what we want to do each time we do an import.  Deleting existing posts via the regular admin is time-consuming when you have 2000 records… Do you have a different solution for deleting en masse?

Thanks.

arrowplane
    Participant

I just realized that there is this way — http://wpengineer.com/1030/change-admin-pagination-on-posts-pages-and-comments/ — to modify how many records you see at once.  Didn’t realize that was an option!  That makes deleting en masse easier.  It also means that we don’t have to rely on the history to clear out our records.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.